Friday, March 21, 2014

NEWS: WATCH: Old School Movies We Are Waiting For: Jem and the Holograms and Transformers 4

I was blessed with the an idyllic childhood, but I didn't realize that until I became an adult.  I played outside, made mud pies, sang 'Jesus Loves Me' from my playhouse, ran around barefoot, tormented my neighbors, baked all the flour, sugar and butter in sight, fought with my siblings and watched the best cartoons ever!

They were good days.



Thinking on it now, I know that those laid the seeds for my cultural immersion now and reinforced the morality code that so many of my generation seem to have.  There where common themes of:

Good v. Evil
Sparkle is a must.
Beware the underdog, and not to mention the triumph of the Red, White and Blue.

One of my favorites was Jem and the Holograms.  Though I got along with Transformers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Strawberry Shortcake, My Little Pony, X-Men, He-Man and She-Ra and the uber-fantastic GI Joe!  

Yes, please, bring on the Nostalgia and cartoons that have story lines and characters deeper than my pinkie.  So when the HUB Network showed episodes, my short people and I sat down, watched together and debated the validity of some of the lines and talked 80's fashion -- good times, flashbacks and family bonding time.


And from all indications, it looks like we weren't the only ones longing for the cartoons of our youth and delighted by the throwbacks because another Hasbro favorite is coming to the big screen.

Blumhouse Productions is partnering with Hasbro to bring the Jem and the Holograms to the big screen.... they already ventured into the 80s territory with the mostly disappointing GI Joe franchise and the awesome Transformers series (well, I loved 1 and 2 -- 3 left a little to be desired -- 4 is yet to come) and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles later this summer.

Which movie are you waiting to see?

Our house vote is split between Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Jem.  Though I hope Transformers 4, with the Mark Wahlberg infusion, is a sleeper hit.  What I love about the live action take is that current special effects technology can be put to good use.  

Share your classic cartoon fave below.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!! I hope all the kiddos love them!!

    ReplyDelete