Wednesday, June 25, 2014

LISTEN: Trolling Audible's Pages for Summer LIstening by Rick Riordan, Julianne MacLean and Jim Butcher

It has been a fabulous day for getting reacquainted with past discoveries.... audible books.  One of my loves from my DC days.  They made my commute so much better.  I would listen to CD after CD on my portable CD player on the Red Line.  Then later when Z was a baby I would stick them in my CD player and listen to stories as I went along my new mommy adventures.

Fast-forward in time, I have been reconnected to my love of the audio book (Thank you, Tyra and Julianne) and now that I've been become firmly addicted to my Kindle Fire HD and introduced into the world of the iPhone (yes, I know it's 2014) -- I'm still discovering new-to-me ways to use the devices.

Here are the new treats that I have found for our reading listening pleasure.

For the Kids (Stories that won't drive you up the wall)

1) The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan

Fans of the Percy Jackson series will love this series by Rick Riordan.  While I was teaching Middle School history, I would read to my students a few times a week from a story that had linked in some manner to the content that we were working on.  They loved listening to me read, and I adored fostering and encouraging a love of learning and the written word in my students.

This summer, I chose to start at the beginning of one of his series for my own short people. Adventure- laden and told through the eyes of a early teen and a tween -- it has been a win for both of mine.  We also picked up The Bailey School Kids: Zombies Don't Play Soccer -- it's short -- just about 40 minutes -- but it is a hoot as well.

Credit: Audible (available here)

2) For the SciFi Fan:  Set in our world, but not exactly...

Storm Front: The Dresden Files Book 1

(credit: Audible -- available here)


I positively adored the one-series cult favorite The Dresden Files about a modern day wizard set in Chicago, IL.  So when my sister gifted me with the Dresden Files audiobook 1, I couldn't have been more delighted.   Voiced by the familiar voice of James Marsters, Spike of Buffy, the Vampire Slayer fame, it's escapist fun to be had.


3) Like a really good Lifetime Movie with a happy ending....

 The Color of Heaven by Julianne MacLean

(credit: Audible (available here))


I am fan of Julianne's historical romances.  I love her light touch, believable characters and sweeping romances that have you rooting for the heroine and happy for the hero.  On a lark after reading her newsletter and adoring the cover, I picked up a copy of the first book in her latest contemporary series -- The Color of Heaven in e-book form.

It's a lovely, sad, happy, absorbing tale that is really, really well done. Recently, I won a drawing for the third book in the gorgeous series, The Color of Hope, that came out on Tuesday, the 24 June.  I'm going to do myself a favor and pick up book two.  Do yourself a favor and pick them up.  I'll bet you'll be telling a friend as well. :)

Head on over and let me know what you find.

Cheers to a happy summer.






2 comments:

  1. Hi Teia! Thanks so much for mentioned my book here today! So happy to hear you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happily! Thank you for crafting great stories for me to enjoy!

      Delete