Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Becoming a Preemie Mom -- again, Catching Up, Finding A Path and Rejoining the World

Yesterday, I came back to the blog. 



I'd waffled, debated, dreamed. been hiding out, convalescing and wondering if it made sense to continue blogging and decided that inside me is a story that needs to be told, shared and that my gift is to connect people through ideas and words. 

So much has happened since I've been here.  The holiday season has come and gone. I'd been on bed rest due to complete placenta previa, pregnancy induced hypertension which transitioned into a surprisingly dramatic bout of eclampysia and to the no less dramatic arrival of my third child and second son, Noah Joseph, born at 23 weeks and just over one pound.
Z, S and I at the National Guard Luncheon (credit: Talya Blackshear)
Noah Joseph at 26 weeks

I have been riding the emotional roller coaster that covers life a newish again mom with a new one in NICU. It's the gambit of love, expectancy, joy, fear, anger, disappointment, guilt, excitement, hope, thankfulness, longing with lots of pit stops of others in between.  I have searched the web and community for safe havens, resources of positive affirmation and useful information that would soothe my heart, empower my spirit and inform me at the same time.  I have been looking and have found some brave souls that have been and are on a similar path as I.


The search has been for a community of real people, of women, of moms, the human ones that are trekking up the road doing what they can to make the world a better place for themselves, their children and the community as it stands.  I had bundles of time in Baylor Dallas' Antepartum to link into my faith and renew my search for the hope and light bringers that embrace the sage advice shared by the wise Maya Angelou, "Do the best you can until you know better, then when you know better, you do better."  So that's what I decided to do.. do better at making the world for my kids, myself and my community better by using my own experience and sharing my journey and what I've learned and am learning.

On one of those days when the day, news and life just kept piling it on (don't say that you've never been there), I was reminded of some old advice, "No Experience is Ever Wasted." and the confirmation I'd been seeking was received.

credit:http://godisheart.blogspot.com/ 
And I've taken it to heart, as you'll see with the new additions and direction of the blog.  Pink Book of Goodness and Capitol Moms Motherhood Resource Service are morphing into Pink Book Consulting and Concierge, which hosts quarterly and biannual exclusive and intimate "brand meets tastemaker" events for moms, tastemakers and bloggers (more to come soon).  My personal blog flows from my everyday life, so while still being pr-friendly, participating in product, service, book and event reviews and sharing glimpses into our everyday lives, will have the additions of Confessions of a Preemie Mom (a section that is exactly what it says) and Good to Know (where I share points of all around coolness and bring in guest posts from equally fabulous people) as I work on my two latest projects (yay!), a guidebook for moms of Dallas area Preemies (out late summer 2014) and an inspirational work whose working title is Return of the Queen.

credit: A Beautiful Mess


Cheers to a new year, growth and new happiness and rejoining the adventure of living,

Teia

4 comments:

  1. I'm just curious, what do Dorothy's little red shoes symbolize for you besides an inner power?
    Think I'm gonna get me a pair soon, cuz I want to be reminded to keep walking by FAITH like that of a little child who is so trusting and hopeful. I want me a pair of those pretty red, sparkly,Dorothy shoes! Think we should start something here, like the pink ribbons for breast cancer and the yellow ribbons suggest hope for our soldiers to make it back home.
    "Little red shoes.... the faith to walk in the hope of trusting God"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red slippers have always been something special for me. They remind me of life, power, hope and to keep on, keeping on.

      Delete
  2. Happy faced children lovin on their Mom and precious, miracle baby, Noah! What a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete